The Ontario Hockey Federation has been working with Hockey Canada on the implementation of Rowan’s Law since the adoption of the Rowan’s Law Concussion Safety on March 7, 2018. The Ontario Hockey Federation is in full support of the intent of Rowan’s Law to create awareness of concussion, change the culture on concussion and provide safe sport participation.
The Ontario Hockey Federation was informed by the Ministry of Tourism Culture and Sport on June 18, 2019 that the Rowan’s Law Act and Regulations must be implemented by July 1, 2019. Therefore, after July 1, 2019 every Player, Team Official and On-Ice Official (parent as well if individual under 18) in order to register/participate must review the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the appropriate Concussion Awareness Resources.
- All Registrants registering July 1, 2019 or after must have completed the review information and acknowledgement prior to registration/participation
- All Team Officials currently registered will be required to complete the review of information and acknowledgement prior to August 30, 2019
- All Registrants registered prior to July 1, 2019 must complete the review of information and acknowledgement prior to participation in the first game.
The following information should be review prior to completing the Acknowledgement Form. All players are required to have a form on file with the League Office to be eligible to participate in any games during the regular season.
OHF Rowans Law Acknowledgement Form
Concussion Awareness Resource Guide (Ages 10 and Under)
Concussion Awareness Resource Guide (Ages 11 to 14)
Concussion Awareness Resource Guide (Ages 15 and Up)
The Ontario Hockey Federation has met with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport and continues to exhaust all avenues to delay the implementation. The Ontario Hockey Federation will keep you informed of any progress.
The Ontario Hockey Federation have provided the following method for the Minor Hockey Association/Club/ Team to validate that the Players and Team Officials that Register with the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team to have acknowledgement of the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the Ontario Governments Concussion Awareness Resources.The Ontario Hockey Federation have provided the following method for the Minor Hockey Association/Club/ Team to validate that the Players and Team Officials that Register with the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team to have acknowledgement of the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the Ontario Governments Concussion Awareness Resources
- Players and Team Officials will be required to review the material in person or on-line and sign the OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form prior to being eligible to Register/participate
- It will be the responsibility of the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team to retain a copy of the Acknowledgement Form, through one of the following methods:
- Retain a hard copy of the OHF Rowan's Law Acknowledgement Form for a period of 7 years for each Registered Participant;
- Scan and upload a copy of the OHF Rowan's Law Acknowledgement Form (PDF format naming the form “Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form – participant name” to each participant’s profile in the HCR under the Documents & Memo section.
The OHF will randomly select a minimum of fifteen (15) Minor Hockey Associations/Clubs/Teams within the current season to ensure compliance has been met within the legislation under Rowans Law. The purpose of the audit is to randomly select Minor Hockey Association/Clubs/Teams to ensure compliance and to validate submissions of these forms. The Audit Process in the first year also reduces the amount of work required by all parties.The Audit process will require the Minor Hockey Associations/Clubs/Teams to produce the OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Forms that have been retained for comparison and review with the players that have are Registered/participating in programming.
Outside of the Audit Process for this implementation for the 2019-2020 Season it will be based on an Honour System. Each Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team is verifying that when they submit a Roster for approval that the Minor Hockey Association/Club/Team have receipt of an OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form for each Registered Participant on the Roster.